Hiroko's American Kitchen
Illuminate American cooking and demystify Japanese flavors
- Flavor your soups and stocks with Ma-Kombu, known as the king of kelp.
- Behold the brilliant purple hue and smooth flavor of the sweet potato vinegar
We have our favorite foods, the ones we cook over and over again, but let’s get real: we’re a community of cooks who likes to get a little wild from time to time, to experiment, to try our hand at exotic meals. The only thing that stands in our way? Not being able to find that rare vinegar, or unusual seasoning, for the latest recipe we’re lusting over. The Ingredient Finder is the end of that. Here’s to playing in the kitchen!
About The Ingredient Finder
Jim Feldman is a cook first; he believes in having fun in the kitchen. But when he can’t source the 00 flour necessary to make his grandmother’s fettuccine, he sees that as a problem. (And so do we -- a grave one.) He started The Ingredient Finder so no one would have to go through this, pairing up with experts like Hiroko Shimbo -- an authority on Japanese cuisine and an award-winning author -- to find each and every ingredient a cook would ever need.
How to Redeem
- Click “Get it Now” to purchase voucher and receive an e-mail confirmation with a unique voucher code. Use this code to redeem your order with merchant.
- Click HERE for redemption
- Enter your voucher code, and recipient’s shipping address.
- For Gift Purchases: If you are selecting "Give this to a friend" the email confirmation will be sent directly to them to redeem. If you'd like to handle the redemption choose "Get it Now" and provide the recipient's shipping address to the merchant upon redemption.
- Note: Voucher code is located at the top of your confirmation e-mail same as the "Confirmation #").
- Ground Shipping via UPS is included in the 48 contiguous states only. No shipping to Alaska or Hawaii. Overnight shipping or second day is not available for this promotion.
- We do not ship to PO Boxes, a valid street address must be provided. If customer provides an incomplete or incorrect address, they will be responsible for additional shipping charges.
- Refunds only for products that are past their use by dates.
- No Exchanges except if products are past their use by dates.
On a return visit to Japan a few years ago, I fell hard for kombu, a glutamate-rich kelp that typifies the savory flavor known as umami. I add kombu to a rich onion consommé and serve it over spelt pasta that's similar to soba noodles. It's a beautiful pairing. The kombu adds a discreet backdrop to the dish, not so much ocean-y as earthy. —Michael Anthony, Gramercy Tavern, New York City